6 Tips to Help You Stay Sane During a Divorce
Self-care is one of the most important, and lowest cost, things you can do while going through a divorce. Why, you ask? It's easy to let the pressure of major transition and family drama weigh you down. In our practice, we often meet with people who feel like they are losing control of their lives. We see our clients struggle with strong feelings of grief, anger, and sometime betrayal. Staying ahead of these feelings and keeping your sanity can sometimes come from unexpected places.
Our associate Zachary Gottlieb finds solace and peace wandering in Oregon's natural beauty. He suggests the following:
- Go for a hike and get some fresh air
- Turn off your cell phone, or at least quiet the ringer
- While you walk, practice gratitude and remember that time and circumstances are temporary
- Look to your social network for company while hiking
- Be sure to take snacks and water with you on your hike, hydration solves so many problems!
- Find a peaceful spot to rest and just listen to nature
The ability to reset your brain in nature is a gift that we too easily forget to take advantage of. The price of admission is often free or as little as a parking pass. Explore your surroundings, and more importantly, make sure to take care of yourself in your time of need.
Zachary's top 5 recommended hiking spots are: