What to Know Before Adopting a Child
September 20th, 2022
Adoption is a big decision. If you are considering growing your family through adoption, there are many things you should consider before you start the process. Being an adoptive parent will bring many changes to your life and the lives of those in your family. Not only should you be aware of the legal process regarding adoption, but you must also think about the challenges you will face and the responsibilities you will have.
Things to Consider Before Adopting a ChildOregon does not have any requirements regarding a prospective adoptive parent’s lifestyle, education, or income — both single individuals and married couples can adopt. However, there are still a number of things you should think about before making the decision to adopt a child. Questions you should ask yourself before adopting a child can include the following:
- What are your motivations for adopting?
- Do you have room to house a child?
- Do you have the financial resources to raise a child?
- Is your home an appropriate fit for a child with special needs?
- Is there anything restricting you from adopting?
- Are you and your spouse or partner in agreement about adoption?
- What are your expectations and fears about adoption?